Things Academic 229
Dr. Thomas J. Turner, who had received a doctorate from the
University of Virginia, was employed in 1952 as Dr. Parker's replace-
ment, and when Dr. Speas relinquished the chairmanship in 1958,
Turner was appointed his successor. Speas taught for one more year,
retiring in 1959 after thirty-nine years on the faculty. He died on
January 24, 1961. In his memory his family established the William
E. Speas Memorial Award, which is given annually to an honor
graduate for distinguished achievement in physics.
Meanwhile Wake Forest had moved to the Winston-Salem campus
and the Physics Department was lodged in Salem Hall. Although
much new equipment had been added, some that bore the marks of the
fire continued in service. After Dr. Speas retired Turner moved
quickly to build up the teaching resources of the department,
especially in the new field of solid state physics. Following the brief
two-year stint of Dr. L. Alton Hall, 1956-58, Dr. Howard M. Shields,
who had done his doctoral work at Duke, joined the faculty in 1958,
as did Dr. George P. Williams, who had finished his graduate work at
Chapel Hill. Shields, Williams, and Turner were all solid state
experimentalists. In 1959 Robert W. Brehme, a field theorist and
relativist, who also trained at the University of North Carolina, was
added.
These four developed an undergraduate program which won na-
tional recognition for its excellence. In 1964 the American Institute of
Physics cited Wake Forest as one of five institutions in the United
States which were doing outstanding work in preparing physics
majors for graduate work. Earlier, in 1961, a modest master's curric-
ulum had been approved. This called for additional staff, and brief
appointments were given to Kenneth Yancey, 1961-62; Dr. Paul
Mazur, 1963-65; and Dr. F. H. W. Noll, 1964-66. Dr. Ysbrand Haven,
a solid state physicist from the Netherlands, was recruited as a
professor in 1965.
Political
Science15
Until 1957 political science courses at Wake Forest were related to
economics, history, and sociology, and for the early years covered by
this volume all were taught within the Department of Social Science,
headed by Dr. C. C. Pearson. Pearson had resisted the separation of
the various disciplines within his purview, and it was
Previous Page Next Page