230 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
not until his retirement in 1952, that consideration was given to
establishing political science as an independent entity.
At that time Dr. Henry S. Stroupe, who succeeded Pearson as
chairman, contacted Claud H. Richards to inquire of his interest in a
Wake Forest appointment. The two men had been friends in graduate
school, and Stroupe had a high regard for his old classmate. Richards
held the bachelor's degree from Texas Christian University and the
master's and doctoral degrees in political science from Duke. He had
taught at both institutions, and he accepted the Wake Forest
appointment understanding that a Department of Political Science
would be created and that he would head it as a full professor.
A beginning was made in the fall of 1953, when the Department of
Social Science offered a major in government, as the field of political
science was then designated. Eleven courses were scheduled, all
taught by Richards on a rotating basis. They included traditional
studies in American and comparative politics with the addition of
classes on American political parties, international relations,
constitutional law, public administration, political theory, and
government and business.
The ambition of Dr. Richards to head his own department was
realized in 1957 following a trustee decision of October 11, 1956,
which designated Richards as chairman of a new Department of
Political Science, with Dr. Stroupe to continue as chairman of the
renamed Department of History. Assisting Richards was Dr. Roy
Jumper, who had joined the staff in 1956. Like Richards, he had done
his doctoral work at Duke. Jumper's principal interest was in
comparative government, with some specialization in Southeast Asian
affairs. He took leave in the fall of 1959 for post-doctoral studies at
Harvard, was again on leave in 1961-62 as Saigon consultant to the
Agency for International Development, and followed that with a
consulting appointment in Lebanon from 1962 to 1964. He resigned
from the Wake Forest faculty in 1964.
Because of Jumper's absences at a time of increasing enrollment, a
number of short-term teaching appointments were made and a few of
the appointees remained for several years. These included
Dr. James E. Anderson, 1959-65; Dr. Robert W. Gregg, 1959-63;
and Dr. Douglas S. Gatlin,1961-64. It was difficult to retain bright,
qualified instructors because the field of political science was ex-
Previous Page Next Page