232 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
combined Department of Psychology and Philosophy, chaired for
many years by Dr. A. C. Reid, be divided. On April 26, 1957, the
Board of Trustees voted to effect the division during the 1957-58
school year, and Dr. Reid and the other members of the joint faculty
were given their choice of disciplines. They all elected to go with the
new Department of Philosophy
In the spring of 1958 Dr. John Frederick Dashiell, who had recently
retired after many years as chairman of the Psychology Department at
the University of North Carolina, agreed to come to Wake Forest in
the fall as John Hay Whitney Visiting Professor and acting chairman
of the new Department of Psychology During that academic year Dr.
Dashiell, with the assistance of Dr. Pascal Strong of the Bowman
Gray faculty, taught 182 students courses in introductory,
developmental, and abnormal psychology and statistics.
Dashiell also was involved in planning the space which psychology
would share with the Biology Department in the projected life
sciences building to be named Winston Hall. His other principal
responsibilities were recruitment of continuing faculty members for
the department and oversight of the Center for Psychological Ser-
vices, then being organized.
John E. Williams, who had been on the faculty at the University of
Richmond, Joined Wake Forest in July 1959 as professor and director
of the Psychological Services Center. The next faculty member,
arriving in September 1959, was Robert C. Beck, who had recently
completed doctoral studies at the University of Illinois. He joined the
department as an assistant professor.
In that first full year of operation in the new department, Dashiell
and Beck shared office space in Reynolda Hall, while Williams
worked out of the Psychological Services Center in Efird Hall. A
basement room in Kitchin Dormitory served as a laboratory/class-
room for experimental psychology, and another classroom was made
available in Reynolda Hall. These physical arrangements continued
until the occupancy of Winston Hall in 1961.
For 1959-60 a total of 297 students registered for psychology
courses, with twelve identified as majors. As the department grew and
course offerings were broadened, the undergraduate enrollment
increased to an annual total reaching more than eight hundred and the
number of majors rising to eighty. From 1959-60 to