Things Academic 233
the end of the Tribble administration, the department instructed 4,776
students, among them a total of 424 majors.
John Williams became chairman of the department for a four year
term from 1960 to 1964, and in his first year in office David A. Hills,
who held a doctorate from the University of Iowa, joined the faculty
as an assistant professor and assistant director of the Center for
Psychological Services. Dashiell ended his useful association with the
college in May 1961; at the same time Dr. Robert H. Dufort, who had
been teaching at the University of Richmond, joined the faculty.
David W. Catron, with a doctorate from Peabody, was recruited in
1963.
Pascal Strong, who had helped Dashiell set up the department in
1958, stayed with the Reynolda campus only the one year. Staff
members who came to Wake Forest later included Barbara B. Hills,
1962- ; Jack M. Hicks, 1963-66; John H. Wright, 1965-66; John J.
Woodmansee, 1965- ; Lawrence Conant, 1966-67; Herbert Horowitz,
1966- ; and Susan P. Harbin, 1966
A word needs to be said about the Center for Psychological Ser-
vices and its crucial role in the life of the campus. In the three years
before it opened in 1959, Dr. Robert A. Dyer of the Department of
Religion, later with the Dean's Office, had developed a counseling
service which also administered testing, including the Graduate Re-
cord Examination. Under the direction of Dr. Williams the center took
over those and other duties, but soon found itself in the middle of an
undergraduate crisis. The Vietnam War, the spreading use of drugs,
civil rights considerations, and the sexual revolution then surfacing
created pressures which neither the center nor the student body had
previously encountered.
These forces created a heavy demand for counseling, with the
number of students seeking help and the severity of their problems
straining the resources of the center. At first Williams and Philis Gary
Moore, who was secretary, receptionist, and psychometrist, handled
the load alone. They were later joined by Drs. Hills and Catron. In the
times of greatest unrest hundreds of students were counseled. In a
typical year 8 percent of the student body were clients of the center,
with up to 20 percent of the graduating classes having been at the
center at some time during their college years. The service was vital,
at times critical, to the lives of students with
Previous Page Next Page