Things Academic 237
Andover-Newton and the Th.M. and Th.D. from the Louisville
seminary
On the old campus the Religion Department was literally crowded
out of the space that had been provided for it in the new Music-
Religion Building next to Wait Hall. In 1951 religion began to
surrender its quarters to the Southeastern Seminary, and through the
ingenious planning of Dr. Charles M. Allen, the department gradually
moved into space in the Amos Johnson Building which normally
would have been used by the Biology Department. The department's
home on the new campus was Wingate Hall to the rear of Wait
Chapel, but there, too, for many years, it was required to share space
with other disciplines awaiting permanent assignment.
In the first full year on the new campus student enrollment in
religion courses was 741, as against 595 a year earlier. Two hundred
and six ministerial students were enrolled in the college, along with
fifty other students preparing for church-related careers. All students
in the college were required to take six hours of religion as a
prerequisite to graduation.
With expanding enrollment three new teachers were added to the
religion faculty: G. McLeod Bryan, a specialist in Christian ethics;
Dan Otto Via, in the New Testament; and Robert A. Dyer, in religious
education. Bryan, a Wake Forest graduate with a Yale doctorate, had
taught at Mars Hill College and Mercer University. Via, a Davidson
alumnus who held a Duke doctorate, had been an instructor at the
latter institution. Dyer, who did his doctoral work at the Southern
Seminary, was a former missionary to Japan and had taught Bible and
psychology at Gardner-Webb College. He was to share his time with
the Dean's Office.
Dr. Tribble had long hoped that the School of Religion ultimately
would offer a graduate program, but on several occasions the
propriety of continuing religion as a school when it offered no
distinctive degree was questioned. In 1955 Dr. Easley, as acting dean,
approached Tribble with the request that the administration and
trustees rethink the purpose, facilities, and resources of the school
with a view either to developing a full-fledged graduate program or
returning the "school" to departmental status. The trustees chose the
latter course in 1958, and religion reverted to departmental des-
Previous Page Next Page