240 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
49; Robert J. Watts from Duke, in German and Spanish, 1947-51; and
Stanley G. Turner, a Clark University alumnus, in French, 1948-51.
Meanwhile James C. O'Flaherty, who held a master's degree from
the University of Kentucky and would earn a doctorate from Chicago,
was recruited in 1947 to teach German. As recounted earlier, he
would remain to head an independent Department of German in 1961.
Marcel E. Delgado, who had earned a Th.M. degree from the
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, was employed in Spanish in
1947. He would remain through the Tribble administration. His wife
Nelle taught Spanish briefly in 1948-49. Mrs. Gwendola P. Fish, a
graduate of the Woman's College of the University of North Carolina,
was on the Spanish staff from 1949 to 1952, and W. Grayson Birch,
who held a University of Chicago doctorate, taught Spanish in 1951-
Long-term appointments during this period went to John E. Parker,
Jr., who did his graduate work at Syracuse, appointed in French and
Spanish in 1950 and later to share his talents with the Department of
Education; to Richard L. Shoemaker, who held the doctorate from
Virginia, appointed in French and Spanish the same year; and to Mary
Frances McFeeters, also appointed in French and Spanish in 1952.
Aside from proving herself a capable teacher, she had other
distinctions. In 1954 she became the first female member of the Wake
Forest faculty to earn the doctorate, hers awarded by Syracuse
University. She also was the bride in a rare faculty wedding when she
and Dr. Paul S. Robinson of the Music Department were married on
December 26, 1955. Parker, Shoemaker, and Mrs. Robinson were still
on the faculty at the time of Dr. Tribble's retirement.
Others appointed to permanent positions were: Anne S. Tillett, who
held the doctorate from Northwestern and was multilingual in
Spanish, German, French, Latin, and Russian, appointed in 1956;
Harry L. King, Jr., with a doctorate from North Carolina, appointed in
Spanish in 1960; Ruth F. Campbell, with a doctorate from Duke,
appointed in Spanish in 1962; Shasta M. Bryant, with a doctorate
from North Carolina, appointed in Spanish in 1966; and Eva Rodtwitt,
who was trained at the University of Oslo, Norway, recruited for
French in 1966.
In the fifties and sixties there were numerous short-term appoint-