244 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
ogist with a doctorate from the University of North Carolina, arrived
in 1963; Stanton K. Tefft, an anthropologist who did his doctoral
work at the University of Minnesota, joined the staff in 1964; William
H. Gulley, a University of North Carolina sociologist, was recruited in
1966, the same year David K. Evans, an anthropologist with a
doctorate from the University of California, arrived.
By that time it had been recognized that the department was a home
for two major interests and, in 1964, the name was changed to the
Department of Sociology and Anthropology At that time Dr. Banks
succeeded Dr. Patrick as chairman.
Over the years the department had had the services of a number of
other short-term teachers. Among them were William R. Rosengren, a
sociologist, 1957-58; John T. McDowell, a social worker, 1958-63;
Changboh Chee, sociologist, 1959-; William D. Arms, sociologist,
1959-62; Robert F. Pace, anthropologist, 1960-65; Keith W. Prichard,
who shared his assignment with the Education Department, 1961-65;
Leon S. Robertson, sociologist, 1962-66; Howard D. Schwartz,
sociologist, 1965-; and Robert Krisko, anthropologist, 1966-67. For
1965-67 the department also had the services of a brilliant Burmese
educator, Dr. Htin Aung, who had been attracted to Wake Forest by
the Asian Studies program.
During the period of this volume the department grew from one
full-time professor, with ten courses and 123 students in 1948-49, to
seven professors offering thirty-nine courses to an enrollment of 493
in 1967.
In 1957 the anthropology staff established the Museum of Man, a
collection of artifacts of prehistoric and more recent cultures. It began
in a donated display case in the departmental office in Wingate Hall,
and with the move to Tribble Hall several rooms were provided for
the analysis, storage, and display of exhibits prepared by members of
the staff and their students. While the beginning was modest, the
Museum of Man was to become an important contribution to the
cultural life of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County.
Speech20
In modern parlance it can be said that the Speech Department was a
spin-off of the Department of English, and its establishment
Previous Page Next Page