Things Academic 247
The concept received needed stimulus in 1958-59, when the Mary
Reynolds Babcock Foundation made a five-year grant of forty-six
thousand dollars to cover the director's salary and other costs. Each of
the participating schools contributed small sums as well, and in early
1959 Dr. M. S. Sundaram, an Indian scholar and diplomat, accepted
appointment as director of the program. Sundaram died a few months
later, before his installation. After considerable search, the
coordinating committee employed Dr. Balkrishna G. Gokhale, a
product of Bombay University who had taught at Siddarth and St.
Xavier's colleges in Bombay, at Bowdoin and Oberlin colleges, and at
the University of Washington. Gokhale was given an initial two-year
appointment as visiting professor of history and director of the Asian
Studies program.
Instruction began in the fall of 1960 with Dr. Gokhale teaching one
course on the history and civilization of South Asia at each of the
three participating colleges. Within three years―Gokhale's ap-
pointment having been extended―the Asian Studies program offered
eleven different courses on Asia. Four were in history, four in
political science, and three in sociology-anthropology. All were
taught by Wake Forest professors.
In the fall of 1963 Gokhale introduced instruction in elementary
and intermediate Hindi. By that time almost six hundred students
from the three schools had enrolled in Asian Studies courses. Of that
number 432 were from Wake Forest.
By the end of the Tribble era the program's curriculum had been
increased to fifteen courses in the history, civilization, government,
politics, social and cultural systems, and ethnography of Southeast
Asia. The program, centered at Wake Forest, was the only one of its
kind in the southeastern United States. Gokhale proved to be not only
an excellent teacher and administrator but also a prolific scholar,
publishing dozens of articles in professional journals and periodicals
in the United States, Europe, and Asia.
School of Business Administration22
On March 12, 1948, the Executive Committee of the Board of
Trustees directed President Kitchin and Dr. C. C. Pearson, chairman
of the Department of Social Science, to act as a committee "to find
and employ a full professor to serve as head of the Department of
Business Administration." That action was a recognition that,
Previous Page Next Page