250 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
recurrent themes in Dean Rogers's annual reports to President Tribble.
Over the years Rogers did assemble an excellent staff. In 1951 Dr.
Dwight Gentry joined the faculty to teach marketing, and Clyde H.
Farnsworth was added as lecturer in economics. A year later Dr.
Kenneth Murray Cox was brought in to teach management, and in
1953 Lyell Thomas and Dr. Charles M. Ramsey, who held a Harvard
doctorate, were recruited. In 1954 Gentry resigned and was replaced
by Dr. Ralph C. Heath, a marketing specialist. Cox resigned in 1955
and was replaced by Dr. Karl M. Scott, who had been trained at the
University of Illinois. Also employed in 1955 was Fleta Joyce Bate-
man, instructor in secretarial studies. With the move to Winston--
Salem in 1956 Oscar J. Lewis joined the accounting staff, and Dr.
Jeanne Owen, a Woman's College graduate with a degree in juris-
prudence from the University of North Carolina, was recruited as
assistant professor of law, thus beginning a long career at Wake
Forest noted for its versatility. Over the years Dr. Owen gave many
valuable hours to faculty committee work, served briefly as acting
dean of women, and was drafted as director of the Evening College.
Her clear thought, innovative ideas, and assiduous labor earned her
the respect and affection of students and colleagues alike.
In 1957 Leon P. Cook was employed for accounting responsibili-
ties, and further staff changes occurred in the sixties. On October 29,
1963, Dr. Ramsey died suddenly and other members of the economics
staff completed his classes. Dr. Robert H. Renshaw was on the
economics staff for the year 1965 and was succeeded by Hugh K.
Himan. Another addition to the staff in 1965 was Dr. J. Van Wagstaff,
who held the M.B.A. degree from Rutgers University and the
doctorate from the University of Virginia. He was to become a major
force on the economics faculty and an active participant in the affairs
of the college community.
In the fall of 1953 the school made application for membership in
the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business
(AACSB). Provisional membership was granted in the spring of 1954,
and Dr. Tribble reported to the trustees in May that the "provisional"
status was due to the "lack of adequate physical facilities which will
be remedied when we move to the new campus." In the spring of
1957 the provisional standing was changed to associate membership,
with "full accreditation" for the undergraduate program; full
membership was achieved in the spring of 1959. At that