252 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
and enjoying the presence on campus of women who were not then
admitted to the regular sessions. The women came mostly from the
ranks of public-school teachers who needed credits for degrees or
toward the upgrading of their teaching certificates. Scattered among
them were a few high school students who wanted to get a flying start
on their college entrance. Dean D. B. Bryan, who had directed the
summer program since 1924, continued in that capacity until 1949
In the years of the war, the summer term became a more integral
part of the school year, with male students seeking to speed up their
graduation before the military draft took them. For women and men
not subject to service in the armed forces, staying on the campus was
unusually appealing because of the restrictions on travel and other
inconveniences imposed by the national emergency. For the summer
of 1943 the regular nine-week term was offered, beginning June 8 and
ending August 7, for a fee of $37.50. Nine credit hours could be
earned by taking three courses. For those wishing more credits, as in
the case of students facing the draft, a twelve week session ran until
August 27, with a possible load of twelve credit hours. Tuition for the
longer term was fifty dollars, and classes for both terms were held
daily. For those wartime years, enrollment ranged from three-hundred
fifty to four hundred, with women making up from one-third to one-
half of the student body.
Just as the college was crowded by returning servicemen in the
early postwar years, so was summer school. Many of the veterans
wished to complete their education quickly and get on with their
professional careers; they went to school the year round. For 1946
through 1948, summer school was double that of the war years, with
the peak achieved in 1948, when 853 students were registered. In that
period a change was made in the status of the faculty, which for the
first time was employed on a twelve-month basis. A parallel
requirement was to teach two summers out of three.
After the summer of 1949, Prof. Jasper L. Memory, who in his long
career served the college in many valuable ways, was involved in
summer-school planning, although he was not named director until
1956. Memory came in as the flood of veterans began to subside, and
summer-school enrollment reached a low of 338 in 1954. Because of
that trend the summer-teaching requirement for the faculty was
changed to every other year.
Previous Page Next Page