Things Academic 253
It will be recalled that the first classes to be offered on the new
campus in Winston-Salem were those of the summer school of 1956.
For that term 582 students were enrolled, 142 more than for the last
summer session on the old campus. That first term included ninety--
five transfer students, twenty-five public school teachers, and fifty-
three incoming freshmen. The atmosphere in those virgin weeks was
quite strange. Neither students nor faculty were acquainted with the
new campus, and the sense of disorientation was compounded by the
fact that numbers had not been placed on the doors of any classrooms
or offices. Until temporary numbers were posted, there was a lot of
wandering around from floor to floor. Some of the necessary
equipment was not in place, and the library was not yet functioning at
its best. But the patience and good humor which have always been
Wake Forest hallmarks carried the day, and at the end of the summer
session, forty-six candidates received degrees. President Dale H.
Gramley of Salem College delivered the commencement address.
In October 1959, the Board of Trustees voted to pay all faculty
members on a nine-month basis beginning with the 1960 summer
session, the salaries to be spread over twelve months. Teaching in
summer school would no longer be required, and those who chose to
do so would receive extra compensation. That arrangement gave
members of the faculty free summers for research, writing, and travel;
it also allowed the director of the summer session to employ visiting
teachers from other colleges and universities, thereby giving the
students wider academic exposure. The new system brought 629
students for the first summer term in 196o, with 477 attending the
second. The 1,106 total was almost double the summer enrollment of
the previous year.
In 1961 Professor Memory asked to be relieved of his summer
school duties, and Dr. Percival Perry, professor of history, was named
to succeed him. Because the director now was expected, in the
absence of the president and dean of the college to act as chief
executive officer during the summer months, his title was changed to
dean of the summer session. Dr. Perry took up his duties at an
exciting time. In May 1961 the trustees had authorized the admission
of Negroes, and even though time was short, three blacks enrolled that
summer. Forty came in 1962.
With the resumption of graduate work in the fall of 1961, courses