War and Its Aftermath 19
had been admitted only at the junior and senior levels); recognized
university status for Wake Forest, giving it the right to develop as it
thought best; and committed the convention to greater support of
Wake Forest through funding of development programs. The
convention accepted the compromise and unanimously rejected the
idea of merging the two schools.
Dr. Kitchin said the convention's action promised that "a period of
greater usefulness is ahead, and we will be happy to have girls who
wish to join the Wake Forest community. The hope of those who
believe in Wake Forest now has the right to be completely fulfilled."
One other decision that November was to have an impact on the
governance of Wake Forest. An amendment to the convention con-
stitution stipulated that trustees were no longer to be allowed to
succeed themselves. They could be reelected, however, after a lapse
of a year. Under the convention rules, nine of the thirty-six Wake
Forest trustees were elected each year for four-year terms.
Meanwhile the Wake Forest enlargement campaign was in full
swing. In a January 1945 report Jackson said that $350,444 had been
raised. A number of supporting drives had been initiated. The town
of Wake Forest, with fifteen hundred regular inhabitants, undertook
to raise $125,000, and within a few months it had $126,622 in
pledges. The Wake Forest Baptist Church set a ten-year goal of
$125,000. At the instance of Everette Snyder, the Pi Kappa Alpha
fraternity made a pledge of member assessments which over a dec-
ade would yield $3,000. Gifts trickled in, and by mid-April the total
was $660,000. This included a special bequest of about $100,000
made to Wake Forest by the late John F. Schenk, Sr., of Lawndale,
founder of the Lily Mills Company of Shelby and head of the
Cleveland Mill and Power Company at Lawndale. A student at
Wake Forest from 1882 to 1884, he had died March 4,1945.
The entire Wake Forest community was touched when Bursar E.
B. Earnshaw and his wife Edith wrote to Jackson saying that they
wished their entire estate, worth $44,000 with their insurance, to go
to the college. The Earnshaws said they hoped the bequest would
eventually reimburse the college "for the total amount of our
salaries, thus making our work with the college over the years truly
`a labor of love.’”
In the fall of 1945 Eugene Olive, college chaplain and church pas-
Previous Page Next Page