Things Academic 263
cess at the front and east doors. Reclassification to the Library of
Congress system began in September 1965 under a Mary Reynolds
Babcock Foundation grant which allowed the employment of a
professional librarian and four assistants recruited especially for that
project.
It was the Mary Reynolds Babcock Foundation grant, reported
earlier in Chapter X, which was to establish the Wake Forest library
as one of the finest in the South, allowing it to achieve a growth rate
far exceeding the normal expansion timetable for academic libraries.
The assets transferred to the college as library endowment were worth
$3.5 million, providing annual income of $140,000 for the purchase
of library materials, largely in support of the graduate program. In the
spring of 1967 Nancy Susan Reynolds added a million dollars to the
endowment, making it possible for every college department of
instruction, and by extension every professor, to select books to add to
the shelves. Dr. Tribble's goal of $7 million in endowment was not
achieved, but the $4.5 million provided by the foundation and Nancy
Reynolds placed the library on a viable footing it had never before
known.
By the end of the Tribble presidency, the total book holdings of the
college libraries had reached 369,767 volumes, compared with
109,092 when Tribble arrived. The number of periodicals had in-
creased from 913 to 3,699, and the budget for libraries had moved
from $40,000 to $552,720. No other operation of the college had seen
more dramatic growth. Mrs. Crittenden's carefully tended little garden
had burst into full bloom.
Through the years there were important gifts to the library,
sometimes as single volumes and sometimes as large collections. In
1944 Dr. Charles Lee Smith, Class of 1884, who had become presi-
dent of the Edwards and Broughton publishing firm in Raleigh, gave
seven valuable old Bibles, including the 1558 Biblia Sacra, a reprint
of William Tyndale's New Testament of 1534. The other Bibles were
dated 1609, 1625, 1658, 1723, and 1795. Two years later Dr. Smith
gave Wake Forest his entire personal library of seven thousand
volumes, which Dr. Archibald Henderson called "the most valuable
private collection of books on any subject in North Carolina." The
Charles Lee Smith collection was given a special place of honor in the
library. A brother, Oscar T Smith of Baltimore, who had attended
Wake Forest from 1885 to 1888, set up a fund in 1945
Previous Page Next Page