Things Academic 267
were installed, and both began to accumulate reference works in their
respective houses for the use of the members.
With the inauguration of the administrations of President Tribble
and Dean Carroll Weathers, Catherine Paschal was employed as law
librarian, but she remained for only one semester. To succeed her
Dean Weathers "drafted" Margaret V. Shoemaker, wife of Prof.
Richard L. Shoemaker. She had been law librarian at Emory
University for two years, reference librarian at the University of
Virginia Law School for five years, and served at the Law School
from January 1951 through June 1953, before transferring to the
college library staff.
Weathers then secured the services of Jeanne Tillman, who had
worked for two years as a catalog assistant in the library of the
Woman's College in Greensboro and as serials cataloguer at the Duke
University Law School for a year. She had the responsibility for
planning the removal of the library, then containing about 22,500
volumes, to Winston-Salem in 1956. While serving as librarian she
enrolled in Law School classes. After seven years with the Law
School she resigned in 1960, leaving a library that then boasted
28,222 volumes and expenditures of more than eighteen thousand
annually for legal reference materials.
To replace her the Law School recruited Vivian L. Wilson, a
graduate of Coker College who held a master's degree in library
science from George Peabody College for Teachers. She had previ-
ously worked as a librarian at Roanoke Rapids High School and Mars
Hill College and as a cataloguer for four years in the Wake Forest
library. She remained through the Tribble administration and saw the
law resources grow to 35,913 volumes, 169 periodicals, and annual
expenditures of more than $30,000.
At the Bowman Gray School of Medicine the library, after the
school's move to Winston-Salem in 1941, was located on the first
floor of the Medical School Building and consisted of less than
twenty-five hundred volumes, supplied for the most part from special
funds which had been set up by alumni and friends. The collection
grew sluggishly, and when Dr. Tribble became president in 1950, it
numbered 10,415 volumes supplemented by 388 periodicals, with an
annual budget of $6,611.
When the James A. Gray Building was completed in 1959 and
connected with the original building, the library was moved into