268 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
the new facility. In 1959-60 five levels of adjacent stack space were
completed, with a sixth added in 1962-63. Two major grants in 1961
helped improve the library's resources. The R. J. Reynolds Tobacco
Company provided $125,000 and the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation,
$75,000 to fund the purchase of back files for the journal collection.
By the end of the Tribble years the annual library budget had grown
to $62,100 and the book holdings, to 49,241 supplemented by 1,348
periodicals. Much earlier, beginning in 1951, interlibrary loan and
photocopying were offered, and by the middle sixties Bowman Gray
was part of a teletype network of five medical libraries in North
Carolina, Virginia, and Kentucky. This greatly facilitated interlibrary
For the period of this history the librarians at the Medical School
were Eleanor Mayes Smith, 1939-43; Mary Ament, 1944-45; Nell
Benton Fuller, 1945-63; and Elizabeth Ann Withrow, who was em-
ployed in 1963 and remained through the end of the Tribble years.