The Graduate and
With the resumption of studies at the graduate level in 1961, Wake
Forest College was well on its way toward achieving the university
status which Dr. Tribble had envisioned. The School of Law had been
established in 1894 and was acknowledged as being the equal of any
in North Carolina and indeed a leader in legal education in the South.
The School of Medicine was founded in 1902 and operated as a two-
year program until 1941, when it was removed to Winston-Salem and
became a four-year school in association with the North Carolina
Baptist Hospital. At that time it was renamed the Bowman Gray
School of Medicine in honor of the benefactor who had made its new
The following sections give brief resumes of the history of the three
divisions for the period 1943 to 1967.
The Divison of Graduate
World War II dealt graduate education at Wake Forest a crippling
blow. There was a dearth of students in the years of the conflict,
followed by skyrocketing enrollment in the postwar period. The
avalanche of veterans and other students so taxed the institution's
resources in faculty, buildings, and equipment that both graduate and
undergraduate study could not be continued at a high level of quality.
During the year 1949-5o the administration and faculty