270 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
reached a decision to discontinue the admission of graduate students.
The minutes of the faculty meeting of May 8, 1950, show how the
matter was handled: "Dean Bryan made a report to the faculty
concerning the status of Wake Forest College in regard to the
requirements of the Southern Association in granting the M.A.
degree, calling attention specifically to the teacher-student ratio and
the expenditure per student as it now exists. Following the report, it
was voted to approve the resolution of the Committee on Graduate
Studies: Resolved, that the statements concerning graduate work in
Wake Forest College now appearing in the catalog be suspended."'
The Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools had
taken no action against Wake Forest's accreditation, but Bryan knew
that was a possibility. One indicator was that the educational
expenditure per year, inclusive of undergraduate and graduate stu-
dents, had dropped to $282 at a time when the association required an
outlay of $300 if the institution offered master's degrees.
The last degree to graduate students already enrolled in the college
was awarded in 1951. However, the Bowman Gray School of
Medicine continued to award master's degrees to a small number of
One of Dr. Tribble's goals upon assuming the presidency in 1950
was the creation of a strong graduate program. As recounted in
Chapter IV, he had made reference to that in his inaugural address,
and it was never far from his mind. Although in the early years of his
administration fund-raising, preparing for the move to Winston-
Salem, and getting settled on the new campus claimed much of his
energies, academic affairs were high on his list of priorities. On
December 20, 1960, he wrote Gordon W. Sweet, executive secretary
of the Southern Association, "It has been the intention of the college
to resume graduate work as soon as the undergraduate program could
be sufficiently strengthened and stabilized and additional financial
support could be assured to justify such action."
Much earlier, on December 14, 1953, the faculty had asked Dean
Bryan to appoint a committee to report on ways to bring about "the
general stimulation of faculty research and publication." Members
appointed to the committee were John W. Nowell, chairman, Elton C.
Cocke, Gerald Grubb, James C. O'Flaherty, and Henry S. Stroupe.
That group, declaring that "research and creativity are the