272 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
pressed with their report," he wrote. "The committee has studied the
problem with intelligence and perception, has exercised caution, and
has not gone beyond the resources of the institution present and
future." He concluded that there were "some departments where
research is sufficiently current and where personnel is entirely
adequate to establish the master's degree in the very near future."
Keeney suggested the addition in each of these departments of an
assistant professor "who shows great promise as a scholar and
teacher, and that as soon as that is accomplished, these departments be
authorized to give the master's degree."
The self-evaluation became the blueprint for what followed.
Graduate study needed to be organized along more formal lines than
those of the pre-1949 years. Immediately after the adoption of the
report, a Graduate Council of six faculty members was elected to
serve with President Tribble as a planning body before departments
were certified and students were admitted. Members of that panel,
later referred to as the interim council, were Dr. Stroupe, chairman,
and Drs. Cocke, E. W. Hamrick, Nowell, Reid, and Snuggs. Soon
after the removal to Winston-Salem, Drs. Camillo Artom and Richard
L. Burt, of the Bowman Gray faculty, were added to the council.
Throughout the fifties steady progress was made in preparing for
the expected return to graduate studies. By the end of the decade there
was no doubt that the institution fully met the requirements of the
Southern Association. For example, between 1949 and 1959 the
faculty-student ratio was reduced to one to sixteen, down from
twenty-three, and the percentage of faculty members holding the
doctorate increased from forty to sixty-two. The annual educational
expenditure per student rose from $282 to $445.77, well above the
association's current requirement of $350.
Knowing that the resources of the college would not permit
graduate programs in all departments immediately, the council
worked for several years on the difficult task of deciding which dis-
ciplines on the Reynolda campus to recommend for the initial re-
sumption. The first target date proposed by the council was
September 1960, with the master's degree to be offered in the de-
partments of biology, chemistry, physics, history, English, mathe-
matics, and religion, along with a doctoral sequence in anatomy
which had earlier been approved for the Medical School. The coun-