278 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
School in previous years. Lee found working with them exhilarating,
and he did his best to provide courses and faculty that would
accommodate the highest possible number of applicants.
Lee's staff that first summer consisted of Profs. Lake and E. W.
Timberlake, Prof. Albert R. Menard, a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of
Columbia University Law School, and Elizabeth Holt, who was
reconstructing the law library. In the fall of 1946 a total of 92 students
registered, and by the spring semester of 1947 enrollment had reached
108, about 90 percent veterans and one-third married, with many
living in makeshift quarters. For that year Dr. Stansbury returned
from Tennessee, and Prof. Joseph O. Talley, a Harvard graduate, was
given an appointment.
In the fall term of 1947 one woman and a hundred twenty-eight
men enrolled in Law School, and a year later, for the first time in its
history, the Law School was forced to turn away qualified applicants.
A limit of 175 students was set, although a peak enrollment of 183
was allowed in 1949. In that period there was also some shifting in
the faculty. Talley left, and two new associate professors were named.
They were Paul J. Hartman, who stayed only a year, and William C.
Soule. Thus, for Dr. Lee's short tenure as dean, the law faculty
stabilized at six teachers.
In 1947 Gamma Eta Gamma, the law fraternity which had been
inactive during the war, was reconstituted as the Edgar W. Timber-
lake Chapter of Phi Alpha Delta, the largest national fraternity of
legal students. A local fraternity, Pi Beta Nu, was granted a charter as
Ruffin Inn of Phi Delta Phi, an international legal organization. The
Inn took its name from Thomas Ruffin, former chief justice of the
North Carolina Supreme Court.
During Dr. Lee's administration a significant change was made in
Law School entrance requirements. The provision allowing students
to start their legal education after two years of college was abolished,
and after January 1, 1949, no student was admitted who had not
completed at least three years of undergraduate training with a
scholastic average of C or better.
Dr. Lee rejuvenated the Law School, and in his long association
with it, extending beyond the Tribble years, he proved himself to be a
formidable lecturer. Those early postwar years when Lee was at his
most vigorous were given a label by awed law students of the