282 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
outstanding annual event and brought to the campus many prominent
attorneys and jurists as guest speakers. Christman, it should be noted,
eventually forsook the law for theology and figured prominently in
the religious life of the college.
Law students also established a book exchange in 1957 where used
texts could be sold on commission; they conceived the idea in 1960 of
an outstanding alumnus award to be presented at the Law Day
banquet; and in the 1964.-65 school year they began sponsorship of
an Intramural Law Review which was to grow in importance.
Alumni of Wake Forest also proved their allegiance, most partic-
ularly in raising funds for the construction of a law building on the
new campus. In the original plans for Winston-Salem, the Law School
was to be located on one of the upper floors of the administration
building, Reynolda Hall, in an area generally above the cafeteria.
Dean Lee launched a forceful campaign to house the Law School in a
separate building, and that momentum was accelerated by Dean
Weathers. While the Law School administrators had a justifiable
interest in securing the best possible quarters on the new campus,
their motives could not be considered selfish. Underlying their zeal
was a very real fear that lack of suitable housing might jeopardize
accreditation by the American Bar Association.
Dean Weathers knew that the key to raising the money necessary to
construct a proper building in Winston-Salem lay in mobilizing the
alumni, and he set up a campus dinner for them on March 15, 1952.
The fifty lawyers attending organized the Wake Forest College
Lawyer Alumni Association with Guy T. Carswell of Charlotte as
first president. To that assembled group Weathers said that approx-
imately $500,000 would be needed to finance the proposed Reynolda
construction. President Tribble, who was at the dinner, told the alumni
that to the general building campaign law graduates had already
contributed $106,000, and he would ensure that the sum was
earmarked for the law building. The new alumni group accepted the
challenge and appointed Basil M. Watkins of Durham chairman of a
statewide canvass. For purposes of the campaign the state was divided
along the lines of the judicial districts, and Weathers traveled all over
North Carolina talking to meetings of the alumni. By the first annual
meeting of the law association in May 1953, $212,000 had been
collected or pledged, and by the spring of 1955, the drive had topped