The Graduate and Professional Schools 283
Construction of the new building, which actually cost $550,000,
was begun in September 1954, and the structure was completed in
time for the opening of the Law School on the new campus two years
later. The handsome edifice contained ample classrooms and office
space, a library with a capacity of 100,000 volumes (24,000 were on
hand at the time of the move), and a courtroom providing seating for
250. On the walls hung portraits of John Marshall, chief justice of the
United States from 1801 to 1835, as well as a famous triumvirate of
Wake Forest law professors: Dr. Needham Y. Gulley, who taught
from 1895 to 1935; Prof. E. W. Timberlake, 1906-56, and Prof. B. R.
White, 1917-43.
The Law Building was dedicated on April 26, 1957, with North
Carolina Governor Luther Hodges and Dean Albert J. Harne of the
University of Illinois College of Law among the speakers, but perhaps
the proudest man among the hundreds there was Dean Weathers. He
said:
We commit the use of this building and the resources of this school,
tangible and intangible, to inculcating in our students an appreciation of the
ideals and purposes of the legal profession: that the objective of every
lawyer in each case he tries or transaction he handles should be that justice
should be achieved; that no lawyer has the right to use the processes of law
to produce injustice or gain for a client that to which he is not entitled; that
the purpose of the law is justice among men, and the purpose of the
honorable lawyer is to seek and do justice.
We commit the use of this building and this Law School to stimulating
within the student an appreciation of the obligation of the lawyer to society,
the recognition that his profession sets him apart as a man concerned with
just relations and righteous living, that he occupies a preferred station of
leadership, that he possesses exceptional influence, and that it is not only his
privilege but his duty to use his influence and position in behalf of a better
social order and to live as a worthy example to others.
Finally, with a sense of dedication we commit this Law School to strive to
afford young people who study within these walls some measure of insight
into the meaning and purpose of life, to the end that their lives may be lived
in the service of others and they may find the satisfaction that comes from a
noble purpose, high ideals, and exemplary living."
Buildings alone, however, do not make law schools. The great
strength of the Wake Forest School of Law has always resided in its
faculty. Upon taking over the administration of the school Dean
Previous Page Next Page