286 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
soon earned a reputation as a tough teacher of property law among the
students, who nicknamed him "Jaw." Ostensibly taken from his
initials, the term also grew out of his caustic remarks to first- and
second-year law students. Besides training the minds of future law-
yers, Webster influenced North Carolina law more directly by draft-
ing statutes for the General Assembly. In the summer of 1956 he
wrote new sales-tax provisions for the Revenue Act, and from 1958 to
1960 he served on the General Statutes Commission. In 1961 Webster
was awarded a Ford Foundation grant for a year's study at Harvard,
and after his residency there, he continued his study of real property
law. In 1967 Harvard awarded him the S.J.D. degree.
Hugh Divine joined the Wake Forest faculty in 1954. A native of
Albany Georgia, he earned a bachelor's degree at Georgia State
College for Men in 1933 and took a master's degree in English at
Louisiana State University in 1941. During World War II he served as
a navigator aboard naval aircraft, and afterward he taught English at
Georgia Tech while earning a J.D. degree at Emory University Law
School. He went on to get a LL.M. degree at the University of
Michigan. Later he did teaching and research at the law schools of
Ohio State University and Notre Dame. In 1959 he was awarded the
S.J.D. degree by the University of Michigan. After his Wake Forest
appointment he remained with the college through the rest of Dr.
Tribble's administration.
John D. Scarlett came to the Law School faculty in 1955. A Penn-
sylvania native, Scarlett attended Catawba College before World War
II, gave thirty-two months to military service, then returned to
Catawba. After graduation there, he won his law degree at Harvard
and set up a private practice in New York. Deciding that he did not
care to stay in New York the rest of his life, he came to North
Carolina as assistant director of the Institute of Government in Chapel
Hill. Attracted by the idea of diplomacy, he took the Foreign Service
examination, and while waiting for an appointment, taught for a year
at the Ohio Northern University Law School. Wake Forest teachers
who remembered him from the Institute of Government persuaded
him to come to Winston-Salem, and he said he "came really to love
teaching" while on the Reynolda campus. He also established an
enviable reputation that extended beyond the borders of North
Carolina. When he left in 1963 it was to become dean of the Law
School at the University of South Da-
Previous Page Next Page