The Graduate and Professional Schools 287
kota. He was remembered with respect and appreciation at Wake
Forest.
Norman A. Wiggins was a native of Burlington. He attended
Campbell College in 1942-43, served as a marine in the South Pacific,
and after the war returned to Campbell to complete the two year
course there in 1948. In 1950 he received the bachelor's degree as a
transfer to Wake Forest and graduated from the Law School in 1952.
After passing the bar examination, Wiggins became a trust officer for
the Planters National Bank and Trust Company in Rocky Mount. In
1955 he was awarded the Harlan Fiske Stone Fellowship at the
Columbia University School of Law. He joined the faculty at Wake
Forest in 1956 and, like several other members of the law faculty, was
called upon by the Legislature to draft statutes about his speciality,
estate planning. In 1964 Columbia awarded him the S.J.D. degree and
in that same year his book, Wills and Administration of Estates in
North Carolina, was published. From 1964 to 1967 Wiggins served as
general counsel to the Wake Forest Board of Trustees. In April 1967
he was appointed president of Campbell College, and he resigned to
accept that position.
Prof. E. McGruder Faris taught at the Law School from 1957 to
1965. He earned his B.S. and J.D. degrees at Washington and Lee
University and his LL.M. at Duke. After graduate studies at the
University of Virginia, New York University, and The Hague Acad-
emy of International Law, he served as a teacher and law librarian at
Washington and Lee until he joined the Wake Forest faculty. In 1964
Faris published a textbook, Accounting for Lawyers. He left Wake
Forest to establish a private practice in Wiliamsburg, Virginia, where
he taught part time at the College of William and Mary.
Henry C. Lauerman, a retired Navy captain and former counsel to
the Navy Department, came to the Law School faculty in the summer
of 1963. A graduate of the Naval Academy, he held LL.B. and LL.M.
degrees from Georgetown University and had been a graduate fellow
at Duke. Deeply interested in politics, he was appointed as a
Republican member of the Forsyth County Board of Elections in
1966.
Richard G. Bell, who had been in private practice for fifteen years,
joined the faculty in the fall of 1964 as a replacement for Professor
Faris. He held the B.A. degree from the University of
Previous Page Next Page