288 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
Kentucky and the LL.B. and LL.M. degrees from Case Western
Reserve University. His law office had been in Bedford, a suburb of
Others who taught briefly in the Law School during the period
under consideration include the following: Dwight A. Olds, 1948-50;
Samuel Behrends, Jr., 1950-52; Leonard Powers, 1950-55; Edward G.
Riggs, 1951-52; Richard D. Gilliam, Jr., 1952-54; William J. Ritz,
1952-53; Ernest W. Machen, Jr., 1953-56; Warren A. Seavey, 1960-
61; John Hanna, 1961-62; and Philip Mechem, 1962-63.
One of the last Law School events to take place during the Tribble
years occurred in 1967, when the degree awarded was changed from
the LL.B. to the J.D. (Juris Doctor). The J.D. was regarded as more
prestigious and entitled the holder to preferential treatment in salary
and rank in some government agencies. It also had been shown that in
teaching, the Juris Doctor was paid more and had a better chance of
advancement. The change had been recommended by several
professional agencies, and the new degree was offered retroactively to
Law School alumni.
The School of Medicine
For the period under study, the early forties to the end of Dr.
Tribble's presidency, the history of the Bowman Gray School of
Medicine is bound up inextricably with the career of Coy C. Car-
penter. He was dean of the two-year Medical School on the old
campus when the family of the late Bowman Gray, former chairman
of the board of the Reynolds Tobacco Company, offered a portion of
his estate to Wake Forest provided the Medical School be moved to
Winston-Salem and made a four-year facility It was Carpenter who, in
conjunction with President Thurman D. Kitchin, joined in the decision
to accept that offer even though it was not as substantial as the college
Carpenter was a product of Wake Forest, having earned his bach-
elor's degree in premed studies in 1922. He studied at Syracuse Uni-
versity School of Medicine for his medical degree, awarded in 1924.
In 1924-25 he was an instructor in pathology and assistant attending
pathologist at the Syracuse University Hospital, and at the same
institution the following year he was a resident physician and in-
structor in clinical medicine. He joined the Wake Forest faculty in