292 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
School to be directly associated with a hospital. There was a natural
alliance between the Wake Forest medical program and the North
Carolina Baptist Hospital, because both were related to the Baptist
State Convention. It was assumed from the start of the negotiations
that the school and the hospital would share common grounds.
Prior to the relocation Carpenter joined with the hospital staff in a
survey of Winston-Salem's health resources. "Initial efforts were
directed toward unifying all hospital and medical facilities in
Winston-Salem and Forsyth County under one program for care of the
sick, education, and advancement of the knowledge of the science of
medicine," he wrote. "This effort largely failed. The failure, it is sad
to say, was due to jealousies, selfishness, and lack of vision on the
part of many people."4
In the absence of any comprehensive areawide plan, Baptist Hos-
pital trustees decided to double the number of beds available there to
four hundred over a period of time, a move which would enhance its
attractiveness as a teaching center and offer broader hospital care in
northwest North Carolina.
The Medical School Building was constructed adjacent to the
hospital and actually made up a wing of the medical school-hospital
complex. Funds for the construction of the half-million-dollar facility
were borrowed at I percent interest from the National Shawmut Bank
of Boston, using as collateral the Bowman Gray stock plus three
hundred shares purchased with a ten-thousand-dollar gift from Mrs.
Ida Charlton. It was true shoestring financing, and the Medical School
was hard pressed to make the payments on the original note, in the
amount of $437,187.50. When in 1951 the sum of $121,000 was still
owing, Dr. Carpenter appealed to the college Board of Trustees for
help. Over five succeeding years the loan was paid off, more than half
of the funds coming from the undergraduate college
budget.5
Construction on the Medical School Building began in 1940, and it
was completed in time for the opening of classes in September 1941.
Faculty and equipment were moved from the village of Wake Forest
to Winston-Salem, and the fall term of the new Bowman Gray School
of Medicine of Wake Forest College began. From five-hundred
applicants a freshman class of forty-five students had been selected,
and along with the thirty second-year returnees who had
Previous Page Next Page