The Graduate and Professional Schools 295
to induce them to come on the faculty of a school with insufficient
funds to operate, and several left."6
In 1943 the faculty consisted of one hundred three active members,
with sixteen others on military leave.
In addition to draining off faculty, World War II made other dif-
ferences in the operation of the school. In July 1943 a contract was
signed with the army providing that for the duration of hostilities and
for six months thereafter, 55 percent of the enrollment would be in the
army If students were not allied with that branch of the service, they
signed up with another; the government provided a subsidy of $2,500
for each student. A breakdown of the enrollment in August 1943
showed that of the 162 students, 94 were in the army and 39 were in
the navy. There were only twenty-nine civilians. Although that
arrangement allowed the students to escape immediate military
responsibilities, they were obligated to spend time on active duty after
their graduation.
"Dark days" or not, the Medical School survived, and a faculty
wearied by the demands of the year-round schedule churned out half a
hundred new doctors every nine months. Along with teaching duties,
staff doctors performed an average of twenty-eight hundred surgical
procedures per year, and a blood bank established just before Pearl
Harbor provided material for hundreds of transfusions as well as
storing plasma for the Office of Civilian Defense.
The end of the war allowed Medical School personnel to breathe a
little more easily, and it was hoped that in a peacetime economy,
funds could be located to assist in easing the overcrowded conditions
existing in the Medical School Building. But fate intervened in an
unusual way: in 1946, as recounted earlier, the Z. Smith Reynolds
Foundation made the offer which resulted in the removal of the parent
college from the town of Wake Forest to Winston-Salem. Because of
the urgent necessity of raising funds for the new college campus, the
Medical School gave up any immediate plans to seek money for its
own use.
Nevertheless there were important developments which worked to
assure the school's long-range health. In 1946 two gifts of $125,000
each were received from Bowman and Gordon Gray, sons of the
Medical School benefactor. Shortly after in that year Mr. and Mrs.
Benjamin F. Bernard gave the rest of Graylyn to the school. The gift
included fifty acres of property, the sixty-room manor
Previous Page Next Page