296 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
house with indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, and outbuildings.
The original cost of the mansion, second-largest residence in North
Carolina, was three-million dollars.
A few months later Mrs. Bernard gave the school sixty-thousand
dollars to remodel Graylyn with the expectation that it might be used
as a rehabilitation and convalescent center.
In all candor it must be stated that the new owners never did figure
out how Graylyn might best be utilized. In February 1947 an advisory
council to the Board of Trustees of Baptist Hospital, arguing that the
Hawthorne Road site provided insufficient room for expansion,
recommended that the hospital and the Medical School be relocated
on the Graylyn estate. It proposed a six-million dollar campaign to
finance the move, but that idea never got off the ground.
The Medical School attempted to follow Mrs. Bernard's wishes.
From September 19, 1947, to January 1, 1959, Graylyn was operated
as a psychiatric hospital, then patient care and the Department of
Psychiatry were returned to the Medical Center. Four separate ser-
vices were later established at the estate: Amos Cottage, for custodial
care, teaching, and research in the field of mental retardation; the
Pediatric Development Evaluation Clinic; the Graylyn Children's
Center for Psychology; Reading, and Speech; and the Children's
Center for the Handicapped. In addition twenty living units were
provided for faculty and other personnel. While all of these
undertakings had unquestioned value, they were not considered to be
the ideal use for Graylyn. The perplexing question of how best to
utilize the magnificent estate persisted to the end of the Tribble
Meanwhile there had been other significant developments. Late in
1946 James A. Gray, chairman of the Board of Directors of the R. J.
Reynolds Tobacco Company, established an irrevocable trust in the
amount of $1.7 million for the benefit of a number of North Carolina
educational institutions. The Bowman Gray School of Medicine was
designated the major recipient. When the details were worked out, its
share of the trust was set at $900,000, providing an annual income of
$42,500. This sum was to go toward debt liquidation, improved
teaching, and research.
Although the need for expanded quarters already was pressing, the
Medical School held off, as has been noted, because of the ne-