The Graduate and Professional Schools 297
cessity of raising money for the college's move to Winston-Salem. In
1951 the school celebrated the tenth anniversary of its own move in a
crowded environment. In that first decade, 383 doctors had received
their training on the Hawthorne campus, as it came to be known. In
addition the school's services had expanded to nearly every specialty
in health care. Through Baptist Hospital it offered general,
neurological, orthopedic, urological, and ear, nose, throat, and eve
surgery; and it provided experts in internal medicine, tropical
medicine, cardiovascular diseases, dermatology, neurology, gas-
trointestinal diagnosis, pediatrics, obstetrics, gynecology, and
psychiatry. Many of these services had not been available to the
people of Winston-Salem before the Medical School arrived.7
A few years earlier Dr. Manson Meads, an important recruit, had
been added to the faculty. A native of Oakland, California, Meads
was a graduate of the University of California in the Class of 1939.
He received his M.D. from Temple University Medical School in
1943 and served his internship at the University of California Hospital
in San Francisco. After that he was a research fellow at Thorndike
Memorial Laboratory and an assistant in medicine at the Harvard
Medical School. He joined the Bowman Gray faculty in 1947 as an
instructor in medicine and the next year was awarded a Markle
Scholarship in Medical Sciences. He went on to important service at
Bowman Gray: in 1951 he was made associate professor and
chairman of the Department of Preventive Medicine, was appointed
professor of preventive medicine in 1955, and professor of medicine
in 1957. In 1959 he became executive dean, and when Dr. Carpenter
was named vice president for medical affairs in 1963, Meads was
appointed medical dean. In 1953 he completed a two-year tour with
the Public Health Service as senior surgeon attached to the United
States Operations Mission in Thailand.
With the college moved to Winston-Salem, the Medical School
began its fund-raising campaign for a new building in November
1956. Dr. Tribble called the expansion "long overdue." It was thought
at first that a million dollar goal would be adequate, but rising costs
and the need for research and other facilities pushed that requirement
to three million. When it became known that the Medical School
would be eligible for matching funds through the Health Research
Facilities Branch of the Public Health Service, various Baptist groups
around the state protested that arrangement as
Previous Page Next Page