298 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
flouting the often-expressed will of the Baptist State Convention.
P. Huber Hanes was chairman of the fund drive, and he engineered
some generous gifts, including $250,000 from the Z. Smith Reynolds
Foundation. A second phase involving medical alumni was headed by
Dr. George W. Paschal, Jr., who as alumnus and trustee served the
college in many valuable ways. Construction was begun in May 1957,
and in the following year the new structure took shape. On October
23, 1959, the school celebrated its imminent twentieth anniversary
with the dedication of its multi-story addition, the James A. Gray
Memorial Building. That edifice doubled the space available to the
school.
Five years later the Medical School joined with Baptist Hospital in
a $38-million Medical Center development program which, for the
school, would mean initially an addition of a hundred-thousand
square feet as well as a large auditorium. The first phase, under the
chairmanship of John F. Watlington, Jr., and with a target of $7
million, exceeded its goal by $382,000. Enthusiasm for the expansion
ran so high that even the $84,000 cost of the campaign was
underwritten by two anonymous donors. In that drive the clinical
faculty made a long-range pledge of more than a million dollars.
Of the successful campaign Dr. Tribble said, "Special attention
should be directed to the outstanding efforts of Mr. Watlington,
Messrs. Albert Butler, Jr., Marion J. Davis, Bowman Gray, Gordon
Gray, Gordon Hanes, Ralph P. Hanes, William R. Lybrook, Meade H.
Willis, Jr., and Mrs. H. Frank Forsyth…. The funds raised in
Winston-Salem are more than twice the amount that this community
has given to any previous campaign, a fact which indicates great
things for the college as a whole."
8
That Bowman Gray and Baptist Hospital should join forces in
creating an expanded Medical Center was only natural, for in addition
to the interaction in teaching and health care, they were cooperating in
the operation of the School of Nursing and nine other paramedical
schools, all accredited. These offered courses in medical technology,
anesthesia for nurses, inhalation therapy, medical record keeping,
medical library practices, cytotechnology, x-ray technology, practical
nursing, operating room and obstetric procedure, pastoral care, and
clinic management.
In the fifties and sixties the Medical School received substantial
gifts not related to any building program, and in part they provided
Previous Page Next Page