300 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
By 1967 the Bowman Gray School of Medicine, launched with
such trepidation in 1941, had come to maturity as a financially secure,
well-respected institution made up of highly qualified teachers and
attracting able students from across the country In addition to the
educating process, important research was being carried on,
particularly in the field of cancer. The school had enriched not only
Winston-Salem and North Carolina but was an important element in
national health care.
Regularly the accreditation of the school had been continued after
intensive surveys by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education,
representing the. Council on Medical Education and Hospitals of the
American Medical Association and the Executive Council of
American Medical Colleges.
The original 18,806 shares of Reynolds stock in the Bowman Gray
Fund had increased to 75,224 shares of Reynolds securities and other
assets valued at about $3 million, and the James A. Gray Fund,
established at $1.7 million, had grown to $4.7 million with the
Medical School's share of the income rising from $42,500 to more
than $125,000 annually.
Growth was particularly sustained during the Tribble years. Al-
though the student body remained fairly constant at the maximum
capacity of about 220, the number of full-time faculty members in-
creased from 53 to 153, with part-time faculty rising from 44 to 102.
Funds for research increased from $170,243 in 1950-51 to more than
$3 million in 1966-67, and the total budget rose from $55,102 in 1951
to $7.2 million in 1967. The latter figure was more than the combined
budget of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Law School in the
final year of Tribble's presidency.
With the separated campuses the Medical School was not so closely
integrated with the college as it had been prior to 1941, but just as the
move to Winston-Salem had been a turning point in the history of
Wake Forest, so had it been for the Bowman Gray School of