314 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
Millan; 1952, Fred Upchurch; 1954, Guy Revelle; and 1964, Cather-
The Wake Forest radio station was entirely a postwar development.
It had its origin in a Hallicrafter transmitting set operated illegally by
Alva E. Parris, Henry Randall, and James H. Hampton, Jr., out of the
second floor of Mrs. Kent Barbee's rooming house in the fall of 1947.
The threesome lightheartedly broadcast some popular music several
nights in a row and got a warning from the FCC that they should
cease and desist. Parris and Randall, sophomores from Charlotte,
nevertheless were bitten by the radio bug, and they got the approval of
President Kitchin, Dean Bryan, and the Publications Board to
establish a station whose programs would be transmitted over the
campus power lines. The Board of Trustees gave them two-hundred
dollars to get started, and they were assigned space in the radio booth
at Groves Stadium. After several false starts Station WAKE, at 580 on
the radio dial, went on the air at 7 P.M. April 19, 1948, to the tune of
"Dear Old Wake Forest." There were short opening statements by
Kitchin, Bryan, and Horace R. Kornegay, president of the student
body. Parris and Randall thanked all those who had helped them,
including Ralph Herring, chief engineer; Jim Wilkerson, advertising
manager; Alice Holliday, program manager; and Evelyn Ward,
continuity supervisor. Dr. Marc Lovelace was faculty adviser.
In May the call letters were changed to WFDD, again at the
insistence of the FCC, because some other station had prior claim to
WAKE. Within a few months it became obvious that the Groves
Stadium site was not adequate for a radio crew and five nightly hours
of broadcasting, and WFDD was given quarters in an army barracks
previously used by Zeta Chi fraternity. Randall continued as manager
in 1949, but both he and Dr. Lovelace resigned within a few weeks.
To replace them the Publications Board elected Roland C. Woodward
as manager, and Ray Royston became business manager. Profs. John
Chandler and Robert Helm were made faculty advisers, with Dr.
Herman Parker as technical adviser. David Herring, Ralph's brother,
completely renovated the equipment, and the station became the equal
of the best commercial stations in eastern North Carolina.
In the spring of 1949 Wake Forest's baseball team was superb, and
the station brought to the campus live sportscasts of the games