Student Life 315
against Carolina, State, and Duke, with rapid-talking William M.
Bethune of Clinton as play-by-play announcer. Coverage continued
with broadcasts of the football and basketball games in the fall and
winter. There were also record shows and choral presentations, and
each Sunday the services at the Wake Forest Baptist Church were
aired.
With the move to Winston-Salem WFDD was given a suite of
rooms on Pub Row in Reynolda Hall as a studio. It had troubles with
its transmissions at first, at one point sending out programs which
could be picked up by short wave in Richmond but not on the
campus. After a nasty warning from the FCC, which threatened a fine
ranging from a hundred to five thousand dollars, the equipment was
put in order.
In the spring of 1950 Julian Burroughs, then a junior from Rock-
ingham, had been named station manager, and that began an asso-
ciation which later was to become permanent. In 1958 Burroughs,
having completed graduate work, returned to the campus as an in-
structor in speech. In 1960, shortly after the Department of Speech
was created, he presented a proposal under which the trustees would
provide a budget for the station and support a petition to the FCC for
an FM license with which Wake Forest would broadcast classical
music and educational programs to the Winston-Salem area. The
trustees approved the idea, and on March 13, 1961, WFDD made its
first FM broadcast. Under the new arrangement, Burroughs was made
station director, which caused some resentment among students. They
thought that they had lost control, but the move was probably
necessary to provide the kind of supervision the facility required.
Except for Burroughs, the station was staffed entirely by students, and
they got good experience in radio production. Shortly after the
addition of the FM frequency, Old Gold and Black said editorially
that "in the space of a few short years, WFDD has evolved from a
small broadcasting to a top-flight educational FM station…. [It] does
an admirable job." Its service was enhanced in 1966 when power was
increased from 10 to 36,000 watts, allowing it to reach listeners in
Danville, Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Blowing Rock, and all points in
between.
Drama, which had been neglected in the first 108 years of the
college, chiefly because the students were all men, put down its
modern roots in the spring of 1942. At that time Jack Easley, son of
Previous Page Next Page