a required part of the curriculum; Wake Forest Baptist Church
continued to meet on the campus, and after the move to Winston-
Salem, the newly constituted church used Wait Chapel for its sanc-
tuary and offices; attendance at the twice-weekly chapel programs
was compulsory; the Baptist Student Union and fellowships for
members of other denominations were flourishing; and the training of
ministers and other religious workers had an uplifting influence on the
whole student body.
In addition, periodic visits by eminent clergymen renewed the
Christian commitment of the community. In October 1950 Dr.
Theodore F. Adams, pastor of Richmond's First Baptist Church,