320 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
When the church was established it was placed under the watchcare
of the Missions Committee of the Pilot Mountain Baptist Association.
When it requested full membership in October 1957, the application
was denied because of the church's policy of giving associate
membership to unimmersed persons of other denominations. A year
later the association asked the church to change the wording of its
constitution so as to take those persons under watchcare, deleting the
associate membership reference. At the 1959 associational meeting,
Wake Forest Baptist, which had not altered its position, was voted
into "full fellowship" even though the Missions Committee again
expressed its "disfavor toward the practice of associate membership."
In 1958, as related in Chapter XI, the responsibilities of minister of
the church and college chaplain were separated, with Dr. Blackburn
devoting his full time to the pastorate and Dr. Easley serving as acting
chaplain in addition to his duties in the Religion Department. Dr. L.
H. Hollingsworth took up the chaplaincy in the summer of 1959. At
about the same time Ed Christman, who had been associated with the
BSU program since 1954, left for two years of study at the
Southeastern Baptist and Union Theological seminaries. In his
absence DeMauth Blanton, a 1953 graduate with seminary training,
filled in with the BSU.
Christman, a first-class debater in his undergraduate days, estab-
lished excellent rapport with the young people on the campus and also
sought to serve the needs of students not of the Baptist faith. In 1963
he secured office space in the library for part-time chaplains
representing the Methodists, Presbyterians, and Episcopalians.
Members of those denominations were active in the Wesley
Foundation, the Westminster Fellowship, and the Canterbury Club, all
Ever since Wait Chapel had been put into service, there had been
complaints about acoustical problems created by the size of the au-
ditorium, the presence of too many hard surfaces, and the lack of
sound-catching materials. Under the chairmanship of Dr. Charles M.
Allen―another man of many talents and many contributions---
committee worked out a plan for alleviating the worst of the
problems. In the first phase carpeting was laid, the seats were up-
holstered, and heavier drapes were installed; then structural changes
were made in the bowl over the choir and at the rear of the