Chapter Notes 361
3. Irving Carlyle was the son of Prof. John B. Carlyle, who taught
Latin at Wake Forest from 1888 to 1911. He was himself closely
associated with Wake Forest in his younger years and later set up a
legal practice in Winston-Salem. He served the state of North
Carolina in many capacities and at one time had strong backing for
the governorship. His devotion to the college was lifelong, and few
played a greater role in making the new campus a reality. After it was
built, he bought a home nearby on Belle Vista Court.
4. This survey was taken in the spring of 1947. In the postwar
inflationary spiral, students found the cost of items included in the
survey inching upward almost by the month.
IV A New Hand at the Helm
1. In a letter to Irving Carlyle, Gerald W. Johnson, the Baltimore jour-
nalist and essayist who was a member of the alumni advisory committee,
commented on the prospects of Binkley and McCall. He wrote that "a
parson is bad enough, but a busted-down missionary would be intoler-
able." The Papers of Irving E. Carlyle, Ethel Taylor Crittenden
Collection in Baptist History, Wake Forest University, March 23, 1950.
2. A. J. Hutchins to Odus M. Mull, December iz, 1949, the Papers of
Odus M. Mull, Ethel Taylor Crittenden Collection in Baptist History,
Wake Forest University.
3. Irving E. Carlyle to C. B. Deane, January 19, 1950, Carlyle Papers.
4. Dr. John W. Nowell, Chemistry Department, reported this conver-
sation to the author. Modlin also told Nowell that he had been in Rich-
mond too short a time to make a change, and he said that his family
would not have been happy with a move to North Carolina.
5. A letter from Casper C. Warren to E. B. Earnshaw, dated June 8,
1950, shows that Tribble was given a salary of ten-thousand dollars with
an annual entertainment allowance of two thousand, expenses when
traveling for the college, use of the president's home, and moving
expenses from Newton Center, Massachusetts. Copy in Mull Papers.
V High Points and Low
1. Irving E. Carlyle to Hubert E. Olive, February 21, 1950, Carlyle
2. See the memorial resolution presented by the Board of Trustees.
An accessible copy may be found in the Alumni News of October,
1951, p. 3.
3. The shovel was donated by W. E. Oldham of Burlington, who