The work which follows traces the history of Wake Forest College
from mid-1943, when Dr. George W. Paschal concluded his three-
volume account, to the end of the Tribble administration in 1967.
For the college these were profoundly transforming years, em-
bracing not only World War II, the general admission of women,
and the final period of the Kitchin presidency but also the event
which was to change the institution forever―its removal from the
old campus in Wake County to its new location in Winston-Salem
through the good offices of the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation and
the Reynolds family.
In most respects the author has attempted to give a whole picture
of the life of the college, an effort in which he has been assisted
tremendously by the willing cooperation of large numbers of his
colleagues on the faculty and in the administration. The one branch
of the institution which deserves greater attention than it was pos-
sible to give here is the Bowman Gray School of Medicine, which
should have a volume all its own. Happily that need will be filled in
a forthcoming study by former dean of the Medical School, Dr.
Manson Meads, which is to be entitled "The Miracle on Hawthorne
Hill." The author commends that story to his readers.
Throughout the work presented here there has been a deliberate
attempt to avoid footnoting insofar as possible. Where the source is
obvious―the minutes of the Board of Trustees, Old Gold and Black,
the Biblical Recorder, the college Bulletin or an area news-
paper―footnotes have been omitted for ease of reading. If this
practice poses any handicap to future researchers, the author can