III
The End of the Kitchin
Era
With the legality of the association between Wake Forest and the
Reynolds Foundation now beyond question, supporters of the college
turned their attention to the two major considerations bearing on the
move to Winston-Salem. One was the very large challenge of raising
the six-million dollars thought to be required for the construction of
the new plant. The other was the disposal of the Wake Forest
property, estimated to be worth about $3.6 million.
On both counts the Baptist State Convention was of great help. On
October 10, 1946, Dr. Casper C. Warren, who had earlier had strong
reservations about raising money for Wake Forest through the
individual churches, reversed his ground and proposed that the
convention be asked to set up a formal campaign for the benefit of
Wake Forest.1 At the annual session of the messengers in Asheville a
month later, a Committee of 17 was set up, with Warren as chairman,
and charged to raise $1.5 million from the churches within three
years. Horace Easom was later retained to direct that campaign.
At the same meeting a Committee of 15 was established, with
Ralph Herring as chairman, to confer with the Wake Forest trustees
and others and to formulate a recommendation for the disposition of
the old campus. From the outset there was a strong desire in Baptist
circles to see established at Wake Forest a theological school
Previous Page Next Page