The End of the Kitchin Era 47
dents of the town of Wake Forest, who had feared for their economic
survival.
Under the agreement approved in Chicago, the Southern Baptist
Convention would pay the whole asking price by July 1, 1961, with
an initial installment of $300,000 before July I, 1952, and annual
installments of at least an equal amount thereafter. For its part the
college agreed to provide facilities for the seminary by July 1, 1952.
Space for one hundred and fifty divinity students and twelve pro-
fessors would be made available by that time, and the entire property
would be turned over to the seminary July 1,
1956.2
While a new use for the campus was being sought, machinery had
been created to expedite the construction of the new Wake Forest in
Winston-Salem. On July 15, 1946, the Board of Trustees established
what was to become known as the Planning and Building Committee
with general responsibility for laying out the Reynolda acreage and
supervising the landscaping. Odus M. Mull of Shelby was named
chairman, and he was to put in many agonizing hours and hard years
before he accomplished his task. On his committee from the trustees
were R. P. Holding, A. J. Hutchins, and Basil M. Watkins; President
Kitchin was to represent the administration. C. J. Jackson was made
secretary of the committee.
Later in the year Irving Carlyle of Winston-Salem was added to the
committee, and because he was on the scene of the new undertaking,
he became heavily involved in both planning and execution, as well
as serving with a generous will in
fund-raising.3
An advisory group in
Winston-Salem also was created, including Gordon Gray, L. D. Long,
and Mr. and Mrs. Charles Babcock. Babcock, who with his wife had
given the Reynolda property, agreed to accept the title of Director of
the Building Program.
One of the first acts of the planners was to scout for an architect,
and the ideal one seemed to have been found in Jens F. Larson of
New York. For twenty-seven years Larson had worked in the building
program at Dartmouth College, and he had been landscape architect
for Colby College in Maine for fifteen years. Under the agreement
worked out with Wake Forest, Larson received a monthly payment
(initially two thousand dollars) against a 6 percent fee tied to
construction costs. He was to keep one-third of the total fee, and the
remainder would be split between associate
Previous Page Next Page