48 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
architects. They were William Henley Deitrick of Raleigh, who had
been the Wake Forest architect for sixteen years, and Leet A. O'Brien
Larson's first plans for Winston-Salem were quite grandiose, at one
point envisioning a women's complex somewhat remote from the
main campus. A faculty planning committee called for the minimum
construction necessary to house and school two thousand students.
Regarded as essential were dormitories to accommodate fourteen
hundred men and four hundred women, quarters for fifty families of
married students, houses and apartments for seventy-five faculty and
staff families, and at least seven other buildings: a student union,
library, humanities building, science and research facility, biology
building, a chapel, and a gymnasium. The faculty projection was
fairly close to reality when moving day finally came.
While the planning was proceeding, so was the quest for funds. An
intensive campaign in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County, which had
a goal of $1.5 million, was oversubscribed by $66,121, and the man
who masterminded that success, John Irvin of the American City
Bureau, a professional fund-raising organization, was employed to
direct a statewide special-gifts campaign that would tap sources
outside the churches and alumni organizations.
Business and industry were responding well to Wake Forest's
needs, and several large gifts already had been made by individuals.
Egbert L. Davis, Jr., president of the Atlas Supply Company and
president also of the Wake Forest alumni chapter in Forsyth County,
contributed $100,000 to be shared equally by the college and Baptist
Hospital. Mr. and Mrs. Walter M. Williams of Burlington divided
$40,000 between the college and the hospital, and C. H. Teague of
Hamlet made a $50,000 gift to the College Enlargement Program in
honor of his father, the late Dr. Samuel E. Teague, who had been a
member of the Class of 1919.
Given the shortage of housing and classroom space, life on the
Wake Forest campus moved in an orderly fashion―aware of the
bustle over money and architectural drawings, but concentrated for
the most part on the primary purpose of the college of providing
education. In the spring semester of 1947 more than 1,500 students
were on the campus proper, among them 950 veterans and 195
women. The fall of 1947 pushed collegewide enrollment over two