82 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
attention to the $2-million challenge gift. The campaign was some-
what handicapped by the illness of Eugene Olive. In August he had
suffered a heart attack while presenting the college case in Burnsville.
Prof. Jasper Memory was drafted temporarily to handle some of
Olive's alumni duties, and Rev. J. Glenn Blackburn, college chaplain
and minister of the campus Baptist church, was asked to represent
Wake Forest at associational meetings. Toward the end of the year B.
Frank Hasty; a native Tar Heel who had been associated with Baptist
fund-raising elsewhere, joined the Enlargement Program as a field
representative; and in 1952, C. J. Jackson's employment was
terminated.
With Jackson's departure, Loyde O. Aukerman was appointed vice
president in charge of public relations. Aukerman, a Texan, had been
a fund-raiser for the American Baptist Convention for many years,
and Dr. Tribble said of his employment, "We feel that we have found
one of the best-qualified men in the country for this important
position of leadership." In May of 1952 Aukerman, Robert G. Deyton,
the controller, and a recuperating Eugene Olive opened Winston-
Salem offices in Amos Cottage on the Graylyn estate, which then was
a property of the Bowman Gray School of Medicine.
To that point the challenge campaign had had a number of boosts,
including a $100,000 contribution from Dr. C. N. Peeler of Charlotte,
a medical alumnus. There were not enough of those, however, and
when Tribble and his assistants despaired of meeting the July I
deadline, the donors graciously extended the time limit to December
31, 1953. In the last six months of the drive, Winston-Salem firms and
individuals chipped in $846,000. Over a period of time, the Watkins
brothers of Durham-Dr. George T., Dr. William M., and Basil
M.―gave more than $50,000. With only seventeen days left in the
campaign, the college was still short by $753,000. Gifts in that short
span included a $110,000 pledge from members of the Board of
Trustees, who in sum had already contributed $900,000 toward the
Enlargement Program. The Efird Foundation in Charlotte gave
$100,000 toward the construction of that dormitory now named Efird.
In the final week there were two hundred gifts of five-thousand
dollars or less. A retired minister sent in one dollar. A missionary on
leave gave twenty-five dollars, and an alumnus who had not worked
in fourteen years sent in a dollar he had received as a Christmas
present.
Previous Page Next Page