2 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
In this atmosphere of national crisis Wake Forest College, as an
institution and as a family of scholars, teachers, and alumni, was
involved in many ways. Since Pearl Harbor the college had lost
more than a thousand students as well as a number of key faculty
members to the quenchless appetite of the armed forces. On the
campus the marching of the twelve hundred soldiers of the Army
Finance School, among them fifty women who were quartered in
Simmons Dormitory, was a constant reminder of a world at war. The
college itself had an enrollment of 448 students for the fall quarter
and 372 for the winter. In the spring 328 registered, making the
smallest student body since 1904, when 313 men had
enrolled.1
Five
additional students were attending the joint Duke-Wake Forest Law
School in Durham, to which Dr. Dale Stansbury commuted every
day; and the Bowman Gray School of Medicine in Winston-Salem
had 179 fledgling doctors, most of them allowed to remain in school
only through commitment to future service in some branch of the
military apparatus.
College tuition and fees for the school year were the same as they
had been for forty years, $165. Board ranged from twenty-five to
thirty dollars a month, and a room off campus cost from eight to ten
dollars a month. Four out of five students were native North
Carolinians, and one out of every three was the son, daughter, or
near relative of an alumnus.
The college was functioning, under a temporary quarter system, in
restricted space and with a skeleton staff. The Army Finance School
had taken over the Music-Religion Building (completed in 1942 on
the site of old Wingate Hall and not yet used by the college), the
Alumni Building, all of the dormitories, Gore Gymnasium and the
adjacent practice field, Everette Snyder's College Book Store, and
"Miss Jo" Williams's cafeteria. Snyder, who had been retained to
operate his store as the Post Exchange, opened up a small snack
shop for civilian students across the hall, and Jo Williams started a
new cafeteria in the Bolus Building in downtown Wake Forest. She
had sixteen students working for her, and Annie Jessup supervised
four cooks who prepared menus designed to circumvent the
shortages of meat, oils, and sugar. She could feed around a hundred
and fifty students, and other smaller establishments provided for the
rest.
Previous Page Next Page