90 THE HISTORY OF WAKE FOREST COLLEGE
Dr. Tribble wrote later that "the only sad note in an otherwise
glorious day" was the memory of the death on July 17 of Mrs. Charles
H. Babcock. Among other gifts to Wake Forest, Mrs. Babcock and
her husband had donated the land for the new campus. "In her
gracious and unassuming manner," Dr. Tribble said, "she never drew
attention to herself or her magnanimous benefactions. Indeed she
studiously avoided public recognition of her leadership in
philanthropy, and yet the impact of her generosity upon the total
program of Christian education that is being promoted by Wake
Forest College will be felt for centuries to come…. The Wake Forest
College of the future will always bear the imprint of her gracious
manner and unselfish leadership."
At the Baptist State Convention in November 1953, the Board of
Trustees received permission to borrow three million for construction
of dormitories and faculty apartments, the debt to be retired through
rental income from those properties. Borrowing was necessary
because a projection of funds available to Wake Forest was set at
$14,165,000, with anticipated expenditures running to $17.5 million.
Sources of revenue were set forth as follows: from the sale of the old
campus to the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary,
$1,529,000; from the accumulated funds of the Z. Smith Reynolds
Foundation, $2,350,000; from the Baptist State Convention campaign
in the churches begun in 1948, $1,500,000; from the bequest of
William Neal Reynolds, $1,000,000; from the challenge gift to which
Mr. Reynolds was party, $2,000,000; from the campaign to meet the
challenge, $3,000,000; from the Baptist State Convention Nine-Year
Program for Higher Education, $45,000; from all other sources,
$2,721,000. The $17.5 million total was to be spent for the
construction of Wait Chapel, the Z. Smith Reynolds Library, the
Science Building, a University Center (which became Reynolda Hall,
built at a cost of $2,550,000), four dormitories for men and two for
women, a health center, a Law School building, one for business
administration, the W. N. Reynolds Gymnasium, faculty and student
apartments, a heating plant, and service buildings, all with the
landscaping required.
By September 1954, it appeared that the move from the old campus
could not be made within the next year, because construction was not
proceeding as rapidly as had been expected. Thirteen buildings were
under way, but the infirmary, the president's home, busi-
Previous Page Next Page