92
| the history of wake forest
At the same time that Dean Elmore was leaving Reynolda Hall,
another alumnus, Toby A. Hale (class of 1965), was appointed As-
sistant to the Dean of the College, a title later changed to Assistant
Dean. From the first, he displayed the temperament and the colle-
giality that would make him a wise counselor to students and an
effective participant in the day-to-day work of the Dean’s office.
Also, Don Schoonmaker from the Department of Political Science,
an alumnus of the class of 1960, became the first Director of the
Winter Term, part of the academic calendar scheduled to take ef-
fect during the 1971–72 school year.
The University Library had a particularly eventful year. Nancy
Susan Reynolds, the daughter of R.J. Reynolds and from Wake Forest’s
beginnings in Winston-Salem an extraordinarily generous bene-
factor to the University, gave to the Rare Books Room a Mark Twain
collection of 337 items, including first editions of all of Twain’s
published works and fifteen editions of Huckleberry Finn ranging
from the first (1885) to one published in 1901. The University also
purchased a valuable Gertrude Stein collection of more than one
hundred and fifty items. The late R. Hunt Parker, Justice of the
Supreme Court of North Carolina, left to Wake Forest his private
library of more than three thousand volumes. It was especially
welcome because it included copies of many of the most honored
works in the traditional canon of English and American literature
and history. The Baptist Historical Collection, recognized for its
unique importance among Southern Baptist archives, was named
in honor of Ethel Taylor Crittenden, the daughter of Wake Forest
President Charles Taylor, who had been College Librarian from
1915 to 1946 and who in economically difficult times had built the
foundation for the modern library.
Two national foundations known for their support of academi-
cally strong institutions made first-time gifts to Wake Forest. The
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation selected Wake Forest as one of
fifteen private, independent, liberal arts colleges to be awarded
$200,000 for salary increases for faculty members over a period
of two years. And the William R. Kenan Jr. Charitable Trust gave
the college $500,000 for the establishment of an endowed profes-
sorship: the first such professorship in Wake Forest history.
The First Baptist Church of Greensboro established the College’s
first awards for “excellence in teaching.” They were designed to honor
Previous Page Next Page