visitation and victory
described, persuaded us that we had come to the place where Wake
Forest should have a second home.
The next morning President Scales and I went to a house—a
“little palace,” I have heard it called—on the Grand Canal at 699
Dorsoduro, next to the Guggenheim Museum. We were accompa-
nied by trustee Egbert L. Davis Jr. and his wife Eleanor and Win-
ston-Salem artist Joe King and his wife Earline. The six of us
explored the building, then virtually empty; admired its incompa-
rable location (across the Canal from a grand hotel known as the
Gritti Palace) and the view from the upstairs rooms; and agreed
that we had found a place even beyond our earlier imaginings. The
house was owned by the American government and it had been used
as the American Consulate, but consular duties had been consoli-
dated in offices at Trieste, and the building, we were told by Ambassa-
dor Martin, was possibly available for purchase. When we returned
to the United States, we leased the house for three years and started
on what proved to be a tortuous path toward acquiring it.
For many Wake Foresters other than just President Scales and
myself, Venice had an emotional appeal beyond its historic and
cultural importance. In 1939 Dr. Camillo Artom, an eminent bio-
chemist, had left his home in Italy to escape the frighteningly harsh
and repressive measures being imposed by the Mussolini govern-
ment, and he had come to America to accept a position which
Dean Coy Carpenter had offered him at the Bowman Gray School
of Medicine. He had died a few months before the Scales trip to
Venice, but his wife Bianca, a native of Venice, remained in Win-
ston-Salem and received, with joy and hope that only she among
Wake Foresters could have given voice to, the news that the Uni-
versity was about to plant itself in a place that she so much loved.
Wake Forest athletics in 1970–71 enjoyed its best year since the
University moved to Winston-Salem. The football team, coached
by Cal Stoll, and led by quarterback Larry Russell, produced Wake
Forest’s first victorious football season since 1959 and defied all
preseason predictions by winning the University’s first Big Four
title since 1951 and its first Atlantic Coast Conference champion-
ship since the Conference was founded in 1953.3 What made the
season especially exciting was that the team, having lost its first
three games against Nebraska, South Carolina, and Florida State,
suddenly began to win and, by the time the season was over, had
The University of
South Carolina, a
charter member of
the ACC, withdrew
from the Conference
in 1971, protesting
that the Conference’s
new requirement
that a recruited
athlete have an SAT
score of 800 was
too strict. The seven
schools remaining in
the Conference were
Clemson, Duke,
Maryland, UNC-
Chapel Hill, N.C.
State, Virginia, and
Wake Forest.
Previous Page Next Page