toward
“artes
pro
humanitate” |
105
1941, the department had earned an important place for itself in the
University. (In the fall of 1971, 351 students were enrolled in music
courses.) But, unless one counts the multi-purpose Wait Chapel, no
concert hall was available, practice rooms were inadequate in num-
ber and in quality, and there were no central spaces—for meetings or
even for collegial conversations—that musicians could call their own.
Art was even less well provided for. Besides Chairman Sterling
Boyd, there were two instructors, one full-time and one part-time,
and an artist-in-residence, but an art major could not yet be offered,
and without new facilities art would be destined to remain a merely
auxiliary part of the University’s mission.
Theatre, still part of the Department of Speech Communication
and Theatre Arts and not yet offering a distinctive major of its own,
was assigned open spaces on the upper levels of the Z. Smith Reyn-
olds Library which were meant ultimately to be stacks for the Library’s
fast-growing book collections but which for the time being were
given to the Theatre for such development as might be possible. And
the theatre faculty, with effort and ingenuity such as Wake Forest
had seldom seen, had converted this unpromising space into an
arena theatre and a proscenium theatre, with a “green room” and
The Theater when it was in “attic” spaces in the Library
Previous Page Next Page