books, golf,
and calendars
|
141
The Graylyn estate, which was across Reynolda Road from Reyn-
olda Village and Reynolda Gardens, and which had been the home of
the late Bowman Gray, former chairman of the board of the Reynolds
Tobacco Company, had been given to the medical school in 1946. In
addition to the imposing Norman-style, sixty-room manor house at
the center of the property, there were a number of outbuildings and
sixty-seven acres of otherwise undeveloped land: almost a second—or,
if one counts the medical school, a third—Wake Forest campus. For a
time Graylyn was operated as a psychiatric hospital, and other medi-
cally related programs were at various times housed on the estate, but
the medical school itself was at a distance, and Graylyn had become a
“liability.” In October 1973, therefore, the Trustees transferred Gray-
lyn from the “Hawthorne campus” to the Reynolda campus and
compensated the medical school with $1,500,000 in new endowment.
How Graylyn would be used remained uncertain, but there was talk
of a conference center or a faculty club, and the Babcock School was
asked to explore all possibilities for the future of this splendid estate.
For more than a year the University’s FM radio station, WFDD,
founded on the old campus and originally controlled and operated
by students, had been under study and evaluation, partly because of
differences of opinion about how authority for the station should be
divided among students, staff, and faculty. Vice President Gene Lucas
had presided over the study and now was prepared to announce a
compromise. A board of directors would be named, and Professor of
Speech Communication Julian C. Burroughs Jr. (B.A., 1951), who
had been WFDD’s station manager when he was an undergraduate
and who had been overseeing the station since his appointment to
the faculty in 1958, was appointed Director of Radio and asked to
be responsible for the “execution and administration of policies”
established by the board. There would also be a full-time station
manager who would work closely with students taking part in the
operation of the station. WFDD’s purpose would continue to be to
broadcast educational, cultural, and public affairs, with a “heavy
emphasis” on classical music. These arrangements, when put into
practice, proved to be generally acceptable.
The Ecumenical Institute, now more than five years old, was
expanded to include Belmont Abbey College and was renamed
“The Ecumenical Institute of Wake Forest and Belmont Abbey,”
reinforcing the hope for sustained and creative dialogue between
Previous Page Next Page