and a house in hampstead
time a Wake Forest citation had ever been given to an absentee, but
Rubinstein was in Paris and unable to come to America. The other
four recipients were present: actress Rosemary Harris; art collector
and philanthropist Joseph Hirshhorn; Robert Lindgren, Dean of the
School of Dance at the North Carolina School of the Arts; and art
historian Terisio Pignatti, a member of Wake Forest’s Venice faculty.
The new art gallery was the setting for an exhibit of twenty-eight
European paintings and sculptures from 1910 to 1975, on loan from
the Guggenheim Museum in New York City: an exhibit made pos-
sible by a $31,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Sculptor-painter Doris Leeper, the first visiting artist to come to
Wake Forest under a Rockefeller Foundation grant, was present for
the art show.
Elsewhere in the Center, the art department’s slide library was
named in honor of Professor Emeritus A. Lewis Aycock; a painting
studio was named for Winston-Salem artist Eleanor Layfield Davis;
and the generosity of the Mary Duke Biddle Foundation was recog-
nized in the theatre’s Mary Duke Biddle Green Room. In the lobby
of the building the floorstone (Artes Pro Humanitate, 1973) was
unveiled by Professor Charles Allen and Sarah Lewis, a University
custodial staff member who had contributed $1700 to the campaign.
The James Ralph Scales Fine Arts Center