| the history of wake forest
Another new College scholarship program was established by
the Board of Trustees on a recommendation from the academic
affairs committee chaired by Louise Broyhill. Using some of the
funds received from North Carolina Baptist churches choosing,
through the Covenant, to continue their support of Wake Forest,
the University, beginning with the 1983–1984 academic year, would
give eleven scholarships, one from each of the State’s congressional
districts, to students fully qualified for admission who were active
members of Southern Baptist churches in North Carolina and who
had the “likelihood of making a significant contribution to church
and society.” The scholarships were to be named for William Louis
Poteat, president of Wake Forest from 1905 to 1927, and were each
to be valued at a minimum of $1500 per year. A pilot project that
would include five scholarships was to be undertaken in 1982–1983.
The ongoing sesquicentennial campaign continued to attract
major gifts as it moved toward its $17.5 million goal: $100,000 each
from Jefferson Pilot Corporation, First Union Corporation, the Belk
Foundation, and the Dickson Foundations; $60,000 each from the
The cast of Gilbert and Sullivan’s H.M.S. Pinafore
Previous Page Next Page