departments
|
331
donald g. Krause (Spring 1976); glenn l.
clark Jr. (1976–1982); John b. coullard
(1977–1981); olive s. thomas (1978– ); lee
g. Knight (1979–1981); raymond a. Knight
(Spring 1981); John d. royster (1981–1982);
carol elbing (1982– ); michael l. roberts
(1982–1984); deleon e. stokes (1982– );
robin greene tower (1982– ); and Julie
hung-hsua yu (1983–1984).
NOTE:
For a more comprehensive review of Busi-
ness and Accountancy at Wake Forest see
Thomas C. Taylor’s History of the School of Busi-
ness and Accountancy in Celebration of the First
150 years of Wake Forest University. It is most
helpful in clarifying the various structural
changes that occurred in business education
between 1969 and 1980.
the department of chemistry
1
1967–1983
Wallace Baird, John Nowell, Paul Gross, Roger Hegstrom, Harry Miller, Ronald Noftle, Carey Blalock, Phil Hamrick
The Department of Chemistry was fortunate in
having the long-time continuing service of a
number of devoted professors.
First among them in longevity was Profes-
sor John William “Jack” nowell Jr. (B.S.,
Wake Forest; Ph.D., UNC-Chapel Hill), who
joined the faculty in 1945, succeeded Charles
Spurgeon Black as department chairman in
1962, and continued in the chair until 1972. He
was the son of Professor John William nowell,
also a Wake Forest alumnus, who taught chem-
istry at Wake Forest from
1914 to 1930 and was
also department chair-
man (from 1915 to 1930).
The younger Nowell
taught in the areas of
general, analytical, and
physical chemistry and
for more than three de-
cades was in charge of
the laboratory in physical
1
A “History of the Department of Chemistry at Wake Forest University” by John W. Nowell, Jr. was
written in January 1983 and is available in the University Archives.
Nowell
Previous Page Next Page