332
| the history of wake forest
chemistry, for which he co-authored a text used by
a number of universities. For twelve summers
(1959–1971) he was director of National Science
Foundation-supported Summer Institutes for
High School Science and Mathematics Teachers.
He was also the founding editor of “The Deacon
Chemist” newsletter.
Nowell was a leader of the college faculty
and was often called upon both by his faculty
colleagues and by the administration to serve
on committees and to represent Wake Forest in
discussions of academic issues. He was a faith-
ful member of his fraternity, the Kappa Alpha
Order, and rose to become Knight Commander,
the top national position in the fraternity.
harry b. miller (B.S., Ph.D., UNC-Chapel Hill),
who came to Wake Forest in 1947, was Professor
of Chemistry from 1962 until his retirement in
1983. He taught organic chemistry, conducted
research in physical organic chemistry, and was
a strong and vocal advocate for the Department,
arguing especially for the development of gradu-
ate programs, first toward the M.A. and later
toward the Ph.D.
phillip J. hamrick Jr. (B.S., Morris Harvey;
Ph.D., Duke) joined the faculty in 1956 and
became Professor of Chemistry in 1967. He
taught organic chemistry and did research on
free radicals, using electron paramagnetic
resonance spectroscopy, some of it in collabo-
ration with physics professor Howard Shields.
They were awarded a grant of over $22,000 by
the Atomic Energy Commission.
paul m. gross Jr. (B.S., Duke; Ph.D., Brown)
came to Wake Forest in 1959 as Associate Pro-
fessor of Chemistry. In 1968, he became Coor-
dinator of the Interdisciplinary Honors Program
and thereafter taught in Honors regularly, most
often in those courses labeled “Approaches to
Human Experience,” in which, typically, each
semester, three significant figures from differ-
ent fields of knowledge were studied. (See page
313.)
h.Wallacebaird(B.S., Berea; Ph.D., Wisconsin)
joined the Department as Assistant Professor in
1963, was promoted to Associate Professor in
1968 and to Professor in 1975, and served as chair-
man from 1972 to 1980. In 1983 he resigned
from the full-time faculty, though continuing
to maintain a relationship with the Department
as Adjunct Professor. His scholarly research was
in the X-ray study of crystal structures.
ronald e. noftle (B.S., New Hampshire; Ph.D.,
Washington) came to the Department in 1967
(after a postdoctoral fellowship at Idaho), was
promoted to Associate Professor in 1972 and to
Professor in 1979, and was appointed to the chair
in 1980. He taught inorganic chemistry and did
research on the synthesis of main group com-
pounds containing fluorine. He was invited to
spend one year (1975–1976) as Visiting Research
Scientist at the Naval Research Laboratory in
Washington doing research in vibrational spec-
troscopy.
roger a. hegstrom (A.B., St. Olaf’s; Ph.D.,
Harvard) joined the faculty in 1969 after post-
doctoral fellowships at Harvard and at the Na-
tional Bureau of Standards. He was promoted to
Associate Professor in 1974 and to Professor in
1980. He studied the interaction of small atoms
and molecules with external magnetic fields. For
1978–1979 he was awarded a Guggenheim Foun-
dation Fellowship to do research at the Claren-
don Physics Laboratory of Oxford University:
the first Guggenheim ever received by a Wake
Forest faculty member. In 1975 he received the
University’s award for excellence in teaching.
(See page 166.)
Willie l. hinze (B.S.,
M.A., San Houston
State; Ph.D., Texas
A&M) joined the De-
partment in 1975 after
a postdoctoral fellow-
ship at Texas A&M. He
was promoted to Associ-
Hinze
Previous Page Next Page